In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins and Chandler Vannoy are joined by Jeff Martin, executive director at FCA. They discuss the following questions:
- How has your role changed and how have things shifted for FCA during COVID?
- In light of COVID, what has shifted in leading volunteers?
- What are some of the common mistakes made in leading volunteers?
- What is your main point of emphasis as you are leading your team currently?
- What are 2 to 3 things you try to do daily that benefit your life and your leadership?
- What would you tell your 20-year-old self about leading?
“Leaders of denominational organizations, global ministry organizations, businesses have said they’ve realized now how important it is that we empower our people to lead.”
“The reality of an organization is that the most influential people are the people that take the message out.”
“As a church body, are we looking at these volunteers as people to be rolled into our organization or are we looking at them as influencers that are sent out into the community to change the community and ultimately change the world?”
“As ministers and leaders we like to control the situation, but when you empower someone you are giving up some control.”
“You don’t value what you don’t trust and volunteers can tell that.”
“In adversity you have to unite, you cannot isolate.”
“One of the key elements in a movement is the word simplicity.”
“Understand how God has wired you. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Once you understand that you are able to lead better.”
“The very thing that can make you a strong leader can be a detriment on the other side of the coin.”