In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins, Chandler Vannoy, and Brad Waggoner discuss the following questions:
- When is the right time to hire more staff?
- When should churches hire part-time paid staff and what type of roles are best for part-time?
- Where should churches look when it comes to hiring new staff?
- What questions should you ask during the interview?
- What are the common mistakes we see when it comes to hiring church staff?
“I’ve always believed that a good staff hire will pay for him or herself fairly quickly in many circumstances.”
“If the church is large enough that it is wrestling with growing the staff, consider where are you currently weak?”
“Be careful when hiring staff, because they will necessitate their existence. Once you do have that spot, they will create ministry where ministry was not.”
“Hiring a person is not a strategy.”
“Start out with the future you would love to see developed and then reverse engineer that.”
“Identify the functions that will get you from A to B, and then hire according to whatever those demands are.”
“The most effective way to help your church grow is to grow your people.”
“One of the things you have to caution if you hire internally is, what if it doesn’t go well?”
“The person who truly has a humble wiring is going to talk about what we did as a team.”
“It takes time to hire the right person, whether its an internal or an external hire.”
“It’s much harder to get away from a bad hire than it is to take the time to find the right hire.”