In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins and Daniel Im are joined by Brad Hambrick, pastor of counseling at Summit Church. During their conversation, they discuss the following questions:
- How is the church’s response to abuse ultimately rooted in the gospel?
- Why are both preventative training and response planning necessary for churches when it comes to abuse?
- What are some of the best examples of practical ways you’ve seen churches minister to those who have become victims of abuse?
- How do you provide pastoral care to an abuser in your congregation?
- How can church leaders develop relationships with local law enforcement and biblical counselors to best serve abuse victims?
“The gospel is both God’s message for sin, and how He ultimately brings comfort for suffering in a broken world.”
“If we are going to effectively bring a message of hope from Christ for what people in the world around us are going through, we are going to have to be able to talk about the implications of the gospel for suffering.”
“If we do nothing, then what happens in darkness advances and the most vulnerable are those who pay the price.”
“We must engage the uncomfortable conversation.”
“Every church needs to have a clearly designed plan for how they would respond if an instance of abuse were to come up in their church.”
“Abusing a child is a predatory action. It is something that forethought goes into that the opportunity is sought out.”
“Background checks are a first step, they are not an adequate step.”
“The vast majority of abuse is going to happen when there is a transition from being in a public setting to having a degree of private access to the children.”
“I think the most practical and powerful thing that a church can do is listen.”
“The most loving thing that can be done toward an abuser is remove any opportunity for future abuse.”
“Ask questions from a posture of humility.”
Text “churchcares” to 888111 for more information
This Episode’s Sponsor: Feeling unequipped for marriage ministry? Woo Marriage is here to help. Backed by research and designed with your church in mind, Woo Marriage provides Christ-centered marriage coaching for your entire church. Get your first month free with offer code LEADERSHIP at WooMarriage.com/FreeTrial.