By Brian Dodd
A leader’s greatest enemy to success is often previous success. You become satisfied. Complacency can set in. To have sustained excellence a leader must be diligent and have a holy discontent.
Kobe Bryant has been doing a series of scouting videos entitled Detail. If you have not been watching them, they are simply brilliant.
Recently he talked about how 2-time NBA Finals MVP and champion Kevin Durant can get event better. Whether you lead a church, business, non-profit, educational environment, or athletic organization, his insights have implications for you.
The following are 10 Things The Best Leaders Do To Get Even Better. All quotes are from Bryant himself.
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Wanting To Get Better – “If I’m Kevin Durant I’m looking to take my game to yet another level.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Always Looking Forward And Not Backwards – “Two MVPs in the Finals is great. Back-to-back championships is great but there is next season and I have to get better.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Identifying Specific Areas Where They Can Improve – “This is the most important thing I need to add to my game.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Becoming Experts At Their Craft – “I’ve got to become insanely deadly in the post and mid-post with my passing.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Creating Opportunities For Others – “Teams have to key in on me which frees up shooters on the perimeter.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Making Others Even Better – “I want to take my game to another level. So how do I do that? Well, I become the best passer in the post in the game.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Producing When It Matters Most – “That just enhances me in the 4th quarter to dominate games.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Challenging Themselves And Others – “I want to challenge the league for being the best passer in the league.”
- There Is No Reason Even The Best Leaders Can’t Get Even Better – “There’s no reason I can’t do that. I’m completely capable of doing that.”
- The Best Leaders Get Even Better By Making Their Teams Even Better – “If I can incorporate that into my game how much more dangerous do we become now?”
What is one thing you learned from Bryant’s analysis of Kevin Durant which will make you a better leader?
Brian Dodd is the Director of New Ministry Relationships for Injoy Stewardship Solutions where he help churches fully-fund their mission and vision.