Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 30:21 — 41.8MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins and Eric Geiger are joined by Thom Rainer, president and CEO of Lifeway Christian Resources and author of Becoming a Welcoming Church. During their conversation, they discuss the following questions:
- How can churches use the book?
- What prompted you to write the book?
- What are some of the most common mistakes people make in welcoming or not welcoming people in their church?
- Is there a difference in what millennials want and other generations want when they are visiting churches? Do churches need to have different strategies for different generations?
- What message do you hope will resonate most with the readers?
“This book is a bridge to gospel conversations, particularly to guests coming in to your church.”
“A church of 150 is most likely going to have around 250 first-time guests a year.”
“The website is viewed primarily by guests, not by church members.”
“We miss greeting people in the worship center. They come in early and are sitting there by themselves.”
“One of the best places to get greeters is new members. They are excited because it’s brand new and they know what it felt like to be a first-time guest.”
“Be genuine. Boomers and Builders have a higher tolerance for inauthenticity.”
“Don’t talk differently once you are in a church facility than you do outside the church facility.”
“Care makes up for a lack of personal connection sometimes.”
“This is more about the gospel than some church growth methodology.”
Becoming a Welcoming Church Video
Becoming a Welcoming Church by Thom Rainer
Community of Church Leaders Facebook group