In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins and Daniel Im are joined by Steve Gladen, Pastor of the Small Group Community at Saddleback Church and author of Small Groups with Purpose. During their conversation, they discuss the following questions:
- Why are small groups important?
- What are some of the basics that a small group leader needs to know?
- What are some common challenges in the life cycle of a small group?
- How do you make sure your groups are connected to the church and do not go rogue?
- How can a small group leader effectively recruit and develop other small group leaders?
“We want to provide leaders with a map, not a menu of training.”
“The first thing Jesus did after his temptations was form a small group.”
“The practical application of the Bible can’t happen in isolation or while being hidden in the crowd.”
“Sin demands to have a man by himself. It withdraws him from the community.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
“Small groups leaders need to see and lead their group like a family.”
“People don’t know what they don’t know.”
“You need two different guardrails: a process guardrail and a people guardrail.”
“In order to develop leaders, you have to know what you are trying to produce.”
“When you are looking for leaders in your church, it starts long before the need arises.”
“The devil likes to pick us off when we are in isolation.”
“People don’t do what you expect. They do what you inspect.”
“You must always be trying to get people out of the audience and into the army.”