Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 30:37 — 42.1MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS
In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins and Daniel Im are joined again by Will Heath, a Lead Navigator for Auxano who specializes in leadership transition. During their conversation, they discuss pastoral succession and answer the following questions.
- Can you share a story of pastoral succession?
- What can a church do to maintain continuity in a season of pastoral succession?
- How can a leader navigate the transition well?
- What key areas would you coach a leader to considering when developing a transition plan?
- What are the biggest reasons churches struggle with pastoral transition?
“A pastoral succession isn’t necessarily a one to one replacement.”
“It is very common for the identity of a church to mirror the personality and passion of it’s key leader. So take away that leader, that church will struggle with it’s identity.”
“When churches lack direction, they increase the likelihood that they are going to hire an incredible pastor for somebody else’s church.”
“Many young pastors try to compensate their inexperience by trying to do too much, too quickly.”
“Influence follows relational connection.”
“A leader must always be clear about what they are transitioning to.”
“Ministry doesn’t stop for a pastor just because they aren’t the lead pastor.”
“Succession planning isn’t the last great thing a leader does. It is actually the gateway to a leader’s greatest season of influence.”
“As leaders, we have a hard time visualizing our own transition.”
Free Preview: Succession Planning Video Library