In this episode of the 5 Leadership Questions podcast, Todd Adkins and Barnabas Piper are joined by Dave Schroeder, the VP of Marketing for the B&H Publishing Group. In this episode, they discuss the nuts and bolts of how to market and launch a book. So if you are an aspiring or current author, this episode is for you.
- What are the best ways for authors to develop a platform well and not in a gross way?
- What do publishers wish that authors or prospective authors new about marketing a book?
- What should authors expect of publishers in marketing a book? And what are unfair expectations?
- What is your least favorite trend in book marketing today?
- If you could give one piece of advice, to an aspiring or current author about launching a new book, what would it be?
“Gross is just being what you are not.”
“When someone has success, it becomes a formula.”
“Book publishing normally starts with a lot of rejection.”
“Marketing doesn’t have to be marketing. It can just be creatively shared content and relationships.”
“Don’t blog to try and get published.”
“Write the best thing you can write and see if there is something there.”
“No one has the silver bullet for marketing books.”
“The best marketing is great content. Period.”
“Think about that one person that you want to write to and is inspiring you.”
“Let publishers go after markets. Authors connect with readers.”
“Don’t just assume your publisher knows you. You’ve got to speak up.”
Pipeline: Succession at Every Level e-booklet
The Martian by Andy Weir
Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning