Love Works by Joel Manby is one of the books that manages profundity without being complicated. It is utterly simple, utterly straightforward, and utterly worth reading for those in positions of leadership. While the book is aimed at management and leadership at businesses, the principles are applicable and valuable for any person in leadership.
Here are 10 great quotes from the book:
1. . . .we achieve profits by doing the right thing for customers and employees; profits are not an end in themselves. Profits are a product of doing the right thing – over and over again.
2. Once an organization loses its soul, the financial performance usually starts to decline and the best people leave.
3. Treating someone with love regardless of how you feel about that person is a very powerful principle. . .It can make us great spouses, great parents, and great friends. Great leaders too.
4. I am still surprised how willingly we discuss strategy and how to increase profit but how loath we are to discuss how to build and maintain a successful corporate structure by consistently treating all employees in a way that attracts and keeps the best talent in all levels of the organization.
5. Praise without specifics can be worse than no praise at all.
6. Money can never buy contentment at home; nor can it buy passion at your job.
7. . . .trust people until proven wrong.
8. . . .the fewer decisions we feel we need to make, the stronger a leader we are and the stronger team we have built.
9. I try to hire only the best – and then I let them do their jobs.
10. Healthy disagreement is needed to arrive at the best possible solution.